Momsie prepared this a day ahead. Will come back and get her recipe. She makes it effortlessly. She didn’t even sieved them, so unfair. It tasted so smooth and yummy.
Scope generous amounts of red beans and let it sit in the middle of the round dough on your palm.
Remember to place those buns in order so that you know which are to be steamed first.
Momsie uses 4 chopsticks tied together as a decorative chop for these buns. Creative.
I love a good red bean paste bun, you rarely get a good one with fresh, clean and yummy fillings anymore.
INGREDIENTS:- makes 24 fairly large buns
1 kg pau flour
1 tbs instant yeast
60g caster sugar
water, vegetable shortening, softener
1 kg red bean paste
- Put some warm water into the tablespoonful of yeast.
- Sieve pau flour and add yeast, caster sugar and mix well.
- Make a well in the centre of the flour mixture, add in water and mix to form a dough.
- Knead dough until it becomes smooth (about 5 mins).Knead in the vegetable shortening and continue to knead for another 10-15 mins or until the dough becomes smooth and elastic. The dough must be smooth on the overall surface.
- Cover with cling wrap or cloth and let it proof for about 1 hr or until it doubles in bulk.
- Transfer dough onto a gently floured table. Punch down the dough and give a few light kneading to release the trapped air bubbles.
- Take a big piece of dough and roll into a long log. Cut into smaller serving sizes. Momsie is random here and she suggested that we should divide the dough into 24 portions. We decided it was okay to have fun and forgo the weighing.
- Roll each portion into a smooth round. Flatten each dough into a small disc with your palm or a small rolling pin, make the edges thinner and the centre portion thicker.
- Wrap each dough with some of red bean paste.
- Pinch and seal the seams. Place dough seam side down on a square piece of parchment paper. Leave buns to proof for 20-25 mins.
- Place buns in a steamer* and space them apart so that they do not touch one another.
- Remember to steam those made earlier first.
- Steam at medium to high heat for 12mins (make sure the water is already boiling before steaming). When ready, remove the lid carefully to prevent water from dripping over the buns.
- Make decorative red chop and always serve them warm.