i so want to celebrate. i have butter fingers and never, never, ever baked anything successfully in my life. i dreaded the oven and squealed at any recipes that has to do with baking.
silently, i resorted to recipes that say “steam” and i have many a success with white radish steamed cake and yam cake.
but i want an easy cake that is almost like a baked cake but one that i could steam. i scoured the internet and found this “steam” moist chocolate cake.
Steamed Chocolate Moist Cake
150g caster sugar
200ml evaporated mil
120g plain flour ( i decided to add some flour)
50g cocoa powder
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp vanilla essense ( i substituted with orange flavoured essence)
- Combine caster sugar, evaporated milk, vanilla essense and butter in a saucepan.
- Stir over low heat until sugar is dissolved and butter is melted, turn off the fire and keep warm.
- Add the beaten eggs into the slightly cold evaporated milk mixture and stir till well mix.
- Sift the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and baking soda into a large mixing bowl, then pour the eggs mixture over the flour and stir till well mix (cake batter should be runny)
- Heat up the steamer.
- Lined or greased a rectangular pan or a 8 inch round baking pan.
- Pour the batter into the lined pan and place the pan into the steamer and cover the top of the pan loosely with a piece of aluminium foil.
- Cover the steamer and steam over medium heat for 45 mins.
- Cool the cake and spread the chocolate fudge toppings.
Chocolate Fudge Topping
1/2 can condensed milk
1/2 tsp vanilla essence ( again i substituted with orange flavoured essence)
1/4 cup corn oil ( there was only peanut oil so i used extra virgin olive oil)
1/6 cup cocoa powder,sifted
a pinch of salt
1. Combine the sifted cocoa powder,condense milk and oil.
2. Stir over low heat till thicken (stirring all the time).
3. Add in salt and vanilla extract or essence.
4. Cool the chocolate topping a little before spreading on the cake.
5. Quickly put it into the refrigerator to set, at room temperature the fudge will melt.
i found 2 recipes, san’s blessed moments and thelazychef , combined, adapted to this simply easy to make chocolate cake. i tried the first night and it was not completely successful. the middle of the cake just would not cook and runny with gooey chocolate. reason i think was i overlook the instruction to likely foil the top. i was so kiasu, i wrapped the foil tightly and there was over steaming and heating. my second guess is, 100 gm flour was too little and i topped them up to 120 gm.
joey, a sweet friend plies singapore and shah alam almost weekly. a dear friend i made through tweeter. hubby enlightened me that malaysian distributed condensed milk is palm and not dairy based. fortunately across the causeway, we can get the forgotten, natural and real milk. i am delighted that this recipe calls for its use and i can run them down and make my next order through joey. thanks.